I am a mom… I too have daily struggles in my own home as I try and balance conscious parenting with my career, my own coursework, my marriage, and my need for a sliver of self-care! Our home is in no way some sort of panacea of perfect technology behavior. I am in this with you! If you are joining us please be aware of the following Unplugged Us ground rules!
1. Unplugged Us is judgment-free: we can do this as a community of concerned parents as long as we remember that we are all in this together and that we are here to support each other. No one needs critics in their life.
2. We use a digital platform in order to provide free resources to a wide audience of parents. In an effort to make sure that we do not negatively contribute to your time plugged-in we suggest the following:
*Weekly posts are currently on hold as we build our community so that we can cater our content to meet your needs! Our first 13 episodes will remain on YouTube for you to continue to reference while we work behind the scenes. Please feel free to contact us if you have questions or immediate concerns about your family.
3. If you choose to share us with family or friends who you think might benefit from joining our community, please invite them in a kind way. Perhaps identify your own challenges and that you found Unplugged Us to be a great tool that your family or friend may find interesting: try not to be critical of others' technology habits.
4. We are trying all of this right along with you! There is power in numbers and the struggle is real: see if you can kindly get your parent friends on board with the Unplugged movement- you will need allies! And your future selves will celebrate together while your kids relish in their unplugged play dates.
5. We are parents, in the spirit of practicing what we preach we will be setting aside time to check your comments. Be patient, we may be spending time together as a family and we will get back to you when we have our own technology-time to do so.
6. We will try very hard not to say “should” or tell you what to do… we have ideas and opinions… that is all they are. We are right in this with you.
7. This is a family commitment …. Examining your own practices and modeling is paramount to your ability to have success. Being aware of your power as a model is an important ground rule to make with yourself.